Recipe: Sweet & Spicy Sausage Gravy & Biscuits
A long, long time ago — actually it was February — we drove down to Charlottesville for a birthday brunch for my sister, Caroline.
The name of the restaurant was The Fitzroy, and everything was amazing. But the sausage gravy and biscuits? Best we’ve ever had.
I couldn't resist, so I popped my head into the kitchen and asked the chef why the sausage gravy was so good.
“Maple syrup and Tabasco,” he said.
So since February, we’ve been trying to replicate that sweet and spicy taste. This recipe is pretty darn close — and it’s pretty darn easy.
Enjoy! Download a recipe card to save it to your phone or computer!
- 1 pound of loose sausage (make it Spicy Italian for some extra kick)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 5 shakes of Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce)
- ⅓ cup of maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the sausage in a skillet
- Add butter, milk and cream
- Bring to simmer
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes
- Pour over your favorite biscuits (instant or homemade, your choice!)